Connect with us

Sports

U-20 Volleyball Nations Cup: Rwanda beats Nigeria 3-0

Published

on

U-20 Volleyball Nations Cup: Rwanda beats Nigeria 3-0

Rwanda Volleyball U-21 Team on Thursday defeated their Nigerian counterpart by 3-0 at the ongoing 2018 Under-21 Boys Africa Volleyball Nations Cup in Abuja.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Rwanda dominated the Nigerians from start to finish as both teams played their second match.

Rwanda won the three straight set at 25-21, 25-18, and 25-23.

Rwanda had lost their first game to Tunisia 3-0 while Nigeria won their first match, defeating Cameroon 3-2.

Speaking after the game, Rwanda’s national team coach, Paul Bitok, congratulated his team, adding that the boys played a good game.

“I will like to congratulate my players; they played very well, we planned for Nigeria, knowing that it is a great team.

“I told my players to move from the beginning to the end and they achieved that because if you give them a time to relax, we will be in trouble,” he said.

Elishama Elam, head coach of Nigeria said the squad played well but did not play as a team.

“We never expected such result, knowing that the first set in volleyball is very important.

“We were leading with three points, if we had consolidated on those three points, this will not have happened.

“The game was a good one but my boys were not playing for each other. Everybody wanted to be a star.

“We are going to strategise and make sure that the boys play for each other for the match tomorrow,” he said.

Elam said that Nigeria’s match with Tunisia was a must-win to keep them in the championship.

“We need to beat Tunisia 3-0 or 3-1 to proceed to the next level. If we lose to Tunisia, then we are out but if we win, there is hope,” he said.

NAN reports that the championship continues on Friday with four matches as Rwanda meets Cameroon in the first match while Egypt encounters Morocco and Congo faces Chad.

(NAN)

Sports

Chelsea Facing Potential Two-Year Transfer Ban

Published

on

Chelsea have been named as one of five Premier League clubs reportedly under investigation by FIFA over allegations of breaking the rules on signing foreign players under the age of 18 and potentially face a lengthy transfer ban if found guilty.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have been hit with similar transfer bans in recent years. Chelsea themselves were also sanctioned in 2009 after being accused of encouraging Gael Kakuta to break a contract he had with Lens. That ban that was eventually lifted on appeal.

The news of this investigation from French outlet Mediapart as part of the ongoing ‘Football Leaks’ wave, with Chelsea the only one of the five Premier League clubs named so far. Other high profile cubs across Europe are also apparently under investigation.

It is said that FIFA’s Integrity and Compliance unit is seeking a significant two-year transfer ban that would last for four transfer windows, a punishment that could severely hamper the Stamford Bridge club. There would also be a fine of 500,000 Swiss francs.

Chelsea have already responded with a short statement declaring that they had, “fully cooperated with FIFA and provided comprehensive evidence demonstrating its compliance with the applicable FIFA regulations.”

The international transfer of players is outlawed by FIFA, except in cases where a player’s family has emigrated for reasons unconnected to football or if the club and player are both based within 50km of a national border. There are also exceptions for players within the EU or EEA.

FIFA initially confirmed that an investigation into Chelsea’s recruitment was ongoing as early as September 2017 and a report from The Guardian published back at the start of this year suggested that it related to the signing of 25 foreign players under the age of 18.

Mediapart’s report puts the number at 19 players, including 14 illegally transferred minors.

FIFA is believed to have first been alerted to alleged wrongdoing by the signing of Bertrand Traore, the forward from Burkina Faso who officially signed for Chelsea shortly after his 18th birthday but was apparently pictured representing the club in a youth game aged 16.

Continue Reading

Sports

Pogba Make “Inside United” Cover For The Month Of December And Reaffirms His Resolve To Stay At United

Published

on

Paul Pogba has reaffirmed his feeling of being at home as a Manchester United player, during an exclusive interview with the club’s official magazine.

In the new issue of Inside United, out now, the France international relives some of his favourite memories from an impressive career to date.

After leaving for Juventus in 2012, Pogba returned to Old Trafford four years later to become a key part of Jose Mourinho’s side, and he showed his quality again last week when helping the Reds secure a superb victory at his former club’s Allianz Stadium.

“When I came back to United, it was the best feeling ever,” said Pogba, who was forced to withdraw from France’s squad this week, due to the injury that kept him out of the Manchester derby,

“I came back home. I always dreamed of playing for United, to have many games and score goals. Nothing had really changed, except for maybe the team and the manager, but the rest of the club was the same.

”I just came back home, it was like I didn’t really leave – I just went on holiday! [laughs]. It was a great feeling to come back home.”

In the exclusive feature for Inside United, Pogba looks at photographs of key moments, from growing up in the Academy to lifting the World Cup last summer, and spoke honestly about the feelings generated by reminiscing about the memories.

“It was great to come back, to feel the air of Manchester,” he added. “That has never changed.”

The elegant midfielder also talked about his first-team debut for the Reds, playing against his brother Florentin during the successful Europa League run and why winning that competition in Amsterdam was so emotional, coming soon after his father sadly passed away.

Continue Reading

Sports

Neymar Jnr bonds with Son as International Break kicks-off (Photos)

Published

on

 

Paris Saint-Germain, PSG footballer, Neymar Jnr has shared photos of himself bonding with son, as he arrives home for the third International break for the season.

In shots, the Brazilian striker is seen embracing his son passionately, while lad, Davi Lucca cuddles Dad’s neck and face.

Neymar had Lucca with his former girlfriend, Carolina Dantas.

Continue Reading

Trending