Connect with us

News

Teen sues CNN for $275m for covering his viral clip of face-off with Native American Activist

Published

on

 

The Covington Catholic teenager who was vilified over a viral clip of a face-off with a Native American activist has sued CNN for $275million over its coverage of the incident.

Attorneys for 16-year-old Nicholas Sandmann filed the federal lawsuit on Tuesday in the Eastern District of Kentucky, seeking $75million in compensatory and $200million in punitive damages.

Sandmann was widely portrayed as a racist over a January 18 video clip of him wearing a Make America Great Again hat and standing face-to-face with Nathan Phillips, who claimed he’d been surrounded and abused by the group of Catholic teens who were on a school trip.

Extensive video told a very different story, however, indicating that the teens had been abused with racist and homophobic slurs by a group of Black Hebrew Israelites, before Phillips waded into the middle of the school group with his drum.

In the complaint, Sandmann’s attorney’s allege that CNN was blinded by political bias, and defamed the teen in a quest to smear President Donald Trump and his supporters.

‘CNN brought down the full force of its corporate power, influence, and wealth on Nicholas by falsely attacking, vilifying, and bullying him despite the fact that he was a minor child,’ the complaint stated.

The filing claims that CNN failed to do its basic journalistic duty by propagating false claims about Sandmann.

‘CNN ignored the facts and put its anti-Trump agenda first in waging a 7-day media campaign of false, vicious attacks against Nicholas, a young boy who was guilty of little more than wearing a souvenir Make America Great Again cap while on a high school field trip,’ the complaint states.

The court filing says that CNN, in multiple broadcasts and online articles, falsely accused Sandmann of ‘instigating a threatening confrontation with several African American men (‘the Black Hebrew Israelites’) and subsequently instigating a threatening confrontation with Native Americans who were in the midst of prayer following the Indigenous Peoples March at the National Mall.’

‘In fact, it was Nicholas and his CovCath classmates who were bullied, attacked, and confronted with racist and homophobic slurs and threats of violence by the Black Hebrew Israelites, a recognized hate group, before being unexpectedly confronted by Phillip, an activist, who proceeded to target Nicholas while chanting and beating a drum inches from his face and being flanked by activists companions filming the event,’ the complaint states.

Daily Mail

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News

South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa stuck inside train during his Campaign

Published

on

South Africa’s President, Cyril Ramaphosa has in a passengers that has reportedly stopped for hours with no reason given for the delay.

Journalist who are accompanying Mr Ramaphosa, who is campaigning in the northern province of Guateng for the 8 May election – have been sharing updates on social media.

Some frustrated passengers have climbed out of the train to look for alternative means of transport, while traders operating near where the train stopped have been selling their wares to passengers, BBC reports.

Continue Reading

News

Homeless Nigerian Boy becomes Chess Champion in US

Published

on

 

A homeless eight-year-old boy has become a chess champion in United States. Tanitoluwa Adewumi left his home in the north in 2017, as a result of attacks by Boko Haram terrorists.

He lives in a shelter in the US with his mother Oluwatoyin, father Kayode and older brother, and when he showed an interest in chess his mother got him to join a local club.

He has been playing for just over a year, but with hours of practice he won top prize in his age category at the New York State Chess Championship.

Continue Reading

News

Many injured as Man opens fire on Dutch tram

Published

on

 

Several people have been injured after a man opened fire on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht, police have said.

A square has been cordoned off by authorities, and emergency services are at the scene.

Details later…

BBC

Continue Reading

Trending