Connect with us

News

Sudan’s ousted President, Omar al-Bashir arrested, 2 years of Military Rule announced

Published

on

 

Omar al-Bashir, Sudanese President has been arrested after 30 years of alleged dictatorship, Defence Minister Awad Mohamed Ahmed Ibn Auf has confirmed.

Addressing the Sudanese people on Thursday afternoon, Ibn Auf said al-Bashir, who is wanted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court (ICC), had been “taken into custody in a safe place”.

He also announced a state of emergency for three months and a transitional period of two years, as well as a national ceasefire and the immediate release of all political prisoners.

“Despite all the suffering, despite all the lies, despite all the false promises, the Sudanese were patient, the Sudanese were tolerant, the Sudanese were generous,” he said.

Ibn Auf also praised the youth of Sudan for “taking to the streets in a very peaceful way”.

The demonstrations started in late December by university students angered by the tripling of the cost of bread.

When the ATMs ran out of cash shortly after, the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) an umbrella group of doctors, lawyers and other activists, redirected the protests to call for the end of al-Bashir’s reign. The movement has since spread to nearly every state in Sudan, making it the biggest ever resistance effort against the government since al-Bashir became President in 1989.

As the number of protesters multiplied, state-led security forces cracked down on the civilians, firing tear gas during rallies, beating demonstrators in the streets, arresting them indiscriminately, and sometimes killing them. More than 65 people have died since the protests began.

While al-Bashir’s ouster continues to be celebrated, Sudanese activists have rejected Ibn Auf’s announcement of a two-year military council to oversee a transition of power. Instead, the activists are demanding the handover of power to a civilian government.

“This is a game on the Sudanese people, the street refuses totally the announcement by Ibn Auf,” activist Omar Al-Neel said following the Defence Minister’s televised address to the nation. “All of the Sudanese people are in the street and demanding the downfall of all the regime and not recycling the same people.”

The SPA has called on citizens across the capital and regions around the country to converge on the army headquarters for more protests.

“The regime has conducted a military coup to reproduce the same faces and entities that our great people have revolted against,” the SPA said in a statement.

A former military commander, al-Bashir came into power after leading a bloodless coup in 1989. The ICC charged the 75-year-old in 2009 and 2010 with crimes against humanity, war crimes, and genocide in Darfur, where between 200,000 and 300,000 people were killed and at least 2.7 million others were displaced.

Despite the international travel ban stemming from his arrest warrant, al-Bashir has made diplomatic trips to South Africa, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News

House wife stabs her husband to death in Kebbi

Published

on

Continue Reading

News

Prince Harry & Meghan planning to move to Africa after arrival of their baby

Published

on

 

Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, could be planning to move to Africa after the upcoming birth of their first child, according to reports in British newspaper The Sunday Times.

The royal couple could move abroad for two or three years as part of a major international role being devised by the royal family’s courtiers, the paper reports, with Africa raised as a potential destination.

According to the report, David Manning, the former British ambassador to the US and special adviser on international affairs to Prince Harry has proposed a plan for the pair to take on a more international position that could build on their work for the Commonwealth.

A decision is not expected until 2020, the paper says.

That time frame would allow them to start raising their child at their home, Frogmore Cottage in Windsor.

“Any future plans for The Duke & Duchess are speculative at his stage. No decisions have been taken about future roles,” a Buckingham Palace spokesperson told CNN.

There are 19 Commonwealth nations in Africa, including South Africa, Nigeria, Uganda and Ghana. The couple have already visited North Africa on an official royal engagement, touring Morocco in February.

CNN

Continue Reading

News

CCTV captures Nanny beating ailing 2-yr-old Baby with Carpet Brush for vomiting on Sofa

Published

on

 

A woman in Kenya has shared a CCTV footage of her house help beating her ailing 2-year-old daughter with a carpet brush because she vomited on the sofa.

Read below:

“On this video, this is my daughter Amani,she is 2 and 1/2 years old and the other is Praxides Lumiti Vicheti, the nanny from hell. On 12th March 2019, i saw a footage from my CCTV as my daughter was being brutally beaten with a carpet brush simply because she had vomitted on the Sofa.

First, my daughter was sick, the previous day we were from hospital and sadly my daughter was diagnosed with ulcers(God knows how long this torture had been happening for my daughter to be so stressed).

We rushed back home and quickly fired the nanny without looking at the full footage. We should have called the police! I know!!!!!I swear its always hard to explain the decisions we make while on panic mode.

Finally after the lady left we reviewed the footage and my heart still breaks when i see what my daughter went through. So we decided to just use legal means to get justice for our daughter. We reported the matter and finally began the journey to tracking and arresting her.

We finally arrested her in parklands where she was working( thank you Viola Ayoo for pretending you knew nothing till we came with the police). On arresting her, we came to know that a few days after leaving my house she had a job at Phenom Estate and later on left for Parklands. This DMs have a huge demand.

She was taken to court and is finally out on bond but i wouldn’t be suprised if she is working for another lady who knows nothing about the devil she welcomed to her home.

This is my point, what ever happened to my daughter is irreversible and hopefully she will be well helthwise. Its my sole duty to ensure that no other child goes through this or even worse.
Kindly share and save a child from this monster nannies.”

*She is out on bond stay woke my sisters!!!
#letsGetThisMonsterNanniesOffOurStreets.
#justiceforAmani

 

Continue Reading

Trending