Connect with us

General

Schools close as Distribution of Relief Materials Commences over flooding in Anambra

Published

on

Residents crossing over at Gululu community at Jahun LGA Jigawa state

 

All primary, post primary and tertiary schools in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra have been temporarily closed down in reaction to the flood disaster in the area.

The council Chairman, Mr Arinze Awogu disclosed this while inaugurating the distribution of relief materials at the council headquarters, Atani on Tuesday.

Awogu said the closure of the schools was in line with the directive of Gov. Willie Obiano who said schools in the affected areas should close down to avert loss of life.

“We are in an emergency situation and for us, safety of life is paramount, people will not have need for education when they are dead.

“So in line with the directive of the governor, we have asked that all the schools in Ogbaru be temporarily shut down,” he said.

He said that a 12-man Local Emergency Management Committee had been set up to ensure effective rescue and coordination of victims as well as distribution of relief materials to those in Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camps.

The council boss said Ogbaru had taken delivery of buckets, mattresses, mats, mosquito nets and blankets from the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) but noted that it was still a far cry from what was required.

According to Awogu, about 190 households comprising of no less than 1, 100 persons are presently at the three IDPs camp located at the council secretariat, Community primary school Odoekpe and St James Anglicans Church, Iyiowa.

He noted that 13 out of the 16 villages were on the coastal bank of River Niger and all had been critically affected by flood adding that the remaining three were also highly exposed to the menace.

The chairman, who had also been sacked from his house, said no life had been lost to the flood in Ogbaru at the moment stressing that destruction of property, farm, farm produce and livelihood of the people was massive.

He urged people to move to the camps and decried their reluctance to leave their ancestral homes.

“We are close to where we found ourselves on 2012, when the water height was 12.84 metres and as at yesterday it stands at 11. 80 metres, so you can see how close we are to it.

“There are 16 communities in Ogbaru and 13 of them are along the river bank; all these towns are terribly submerged.

“These are Odoekpe, Atani, Akiri, Ochuche, Mputu, Osamala, Oguikpele, Obaogume and Ummunankwo and they are all gone.

“Others are Obagu, Umuzu, Obaogume, Ogbakuma, all these towns are submerged, no place is safer than the other.

“It is a humanitarian challenge here, we need the best help we can get, it is good that the federal government has declared Anambra flood a disaster, we want to see massive deployment of relief materials here.

“We need effective medical assistance because of the looming epidemic; we need food, disinfectants, toiletries and other emergency items.

“What we are distributing is what we got from SEMA, we want NEMA to react to their declaration by massively deploying relief materials here,” he pleaded.

He thanked Obiano and the people of Ogbaru who had helped to draw attention to the disaster and also rendered assistance.

NAN

 

General

EFCC Vows to arrest Innoson Motors Boss, Innocent Chukwuma …as Court Strikes Out Fraud Case Against Him The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has vowed to ensure that the Chairman, Innoson Motors Nigeria Limited, Innocent Chukwuma is arrested to face fraud charges in court. The Commission gave the assurance today, after Justice Olusola Williams of the Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, struck out the case of fraud it instituted against Chukwuma. The Judge struck out the case after the EFCC failed to produce Chukwuma in court to face trial. Chuwuma and his company, Innoson Motors Nigeria Limited, were to be arraigned on a four-count charge of conspiracy to obtain by false pretences, obtaining by false pretence, stealing and forgery. The defendants allegedly committed the offences between 2009 and July 2011 in Lagos. The defendants were alleged to have conspired to obtain, by false pretences, containers of motorcycles, spare parts and raw materials, property of Guaranty Trust Bank, from Mitsui OSK Lines Limited, Apapa, Lagos. They were also alleged to have fraudulently induced staff of Mitsui OSK and Maersk Line to deliver to them, via their clearing agents, the goods that were imported from China in the name of GTB by falsely pretending that they were authorized by the bank to clear the goods. The defendants were said to have forged a bill of lading numbered 598286020 of Maersk Line Limited and 11007950841 of Mussui O.S.K. Line by knowingly putting a false GTB stamp and signature of the bank staff. The alleged fraud was in order that the forged documents be used or acted upon as genuine to the prejudice of any person within Lagos or elsewhere. However, since the suit was instituted, first before Justice Mojisola Dada of the same court, the defendant has refused to appear in court to face his trial. In a short ruling today, Justice Williams held that it was the responsibility of the EFCC to produce him in court. “This court is not an investigator or a prosecutor. This court cannot waste precious judicial time prosecuting a matter that is going nowhere. “This is a criminal matter that can be instituted anytime the prosecution is ready. The court hereby strikes out the matter,” the Judge held. It will be recalled that Justice Dada had, on June 22, 2018, withdrawn from presiding over the matter on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council (NJC). All efforts by the EFCC to arraign the defendant before Justice Dada on five consecutive occasions failed despite being declared wanted on May 23, 2018 and also issuance of a bench warrant by the court.

Published

on

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has vowed to ensure that the Chairman, Innoson Motors Nigeria Limited, Innocent Chukwuma is arrested to face fraud charges in court. The Commission gave the assurance today, after Justice Olusola Williams of the Special Offences Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, struck out the case of fraud it instituted against Chukwuma.

The Judge struck out the case after the EFCC failed to produce Chukwuma in court to face trial.

Chuwuma and his company, Innoson Motors Nigeria Limited, were to be arraigned on a four-count charge of conspiracy to obtain by false pretences, obtaining by false pretence, stealing and forgery.

The defendants allegedly committed the offences between 2009 and July 2011 in Lagos.

The defendants were alleged to have conspired to obtain, by false pretences, containers of motorcycles, spare parts and raw materials, property of Guaranty Trust Bank, from Mitsui OSK Lines Limited, Apapa, Lagos.

They were also alleged to have fraudulently induced staff of Mitsui OSK and Maersk Line to deliver to them, via their clearing agents, the goods that were imported from China in the name of GTB by falsely pretending that they were authorized by the bank to clear the goods.

The defendants were said to have forged a bill of lading numbered 598286020 of Maersk Line Limited and 11007950841 of Mussui O.S.K. Line by knowingly putting a false GTB stamp and signature of the bank staff.

The alleged fraud was in order that the forged documents be used or acted upon as genuine to the prejudice of any person within Lagos or elsewhere.

However, since the suit was instituted, first before Justice Mojisola Dada of the same court, the defendant has refused to appear in court to face his trial.

In a short ruling today, Justice Williams held that it was the responsibility of the EFCC to produce him in court.

“This court is not an investigator or a prosecutor. This court cannot waste precious judicial time prosecuting a matter that is going nowhere.

“This is a criminal matter that can be instituted anytime the prosecution is ready.  The court hereby strikes out the matter,” the Judge held.

It will be recalled that Justice Dada had, on June 22, 2018, withdrawn from presiding over the matter on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council (NJC).

All efforts by the EFCC to arraign the defendant before Justice Dada on five consecutive occasions failed despite being declared wanted on May 23, 2018 and also issuance of a bench warrant by the court.

Continue Reading

General

LASU dismisses 3 Randy Lecturers over ‘sex-for-marks’

Published

on

The Lagos State University (LASU) has sacked three of its senior lecturers over alleged sexual misconduct.

In a statement on Tuesday, Ademola Adekoya, the university’s spokesperson, said their dismissal was approved by the governing council of the university at its 119th statutory meeting on October 4.

The affected lecturers were identified as Ayoola Odubunmi, an associate professor of economics; Isiaka Ogunwande, an associate professor of chemistry and Emmanuel Gbeleyi, a lecturer in the department of anatomy.

Adekoya said the lecturers were queried after which a disciplinary committee constituted to look into the allegation passed its final findings to the governing council.

One of the victims was said have contacted a non-governmental organisation (NGO) to wade into the matter after one of the associate professors had made repeated overtures at her.

The NGO had planted a hidden camera on the lady who proceeded to meet the lecturer in his office on a Saturday after he invited her to rewrite a particular course she failed.

The lecturer was allegedly caught on camera molesting the female student while he gave her the examination paper to keep writing. The university security officials who were on standby were said to have swooped on them and arrested the randy lecturer.

Gbeleyi, on his part, was reported by two female students who he asked to buy an injection, which he was accused to have used to sedate them before having sex with them.

In June, the management of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in Osun state had fired Richard Akindele, a lecturer who allegedly demanded five sessions of sex from Monica Osagie, a postgraduate student of the institution, to award her a pass mark in a course she failed.

Continue Reading

General

Oil Tanker collides with Car, kills 50, 100 suffer severe burns

Published

on

 

At least 50 people have died after an oil tanker collided with a car on a major road in Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The incident occurred near the city of Kisantu, between the capital Kinshasa and the port of Matadi. One hundred people suffered second-degree burns, Atou Matabuana, the governor of Kongo Central region said.

“The flames spread rapidly engulfing nearby houses,” the UN’s Okapi radio reported.

BBC

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending