Connect with us

News

NAF Commissions New Guest House for Officers in Abuja

Published

on

 

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) today, 13 March 2019, commissioned a new Guest House at the NAF Officers’ Mess (NAFOM), NAF Base, Bill Clinton Drive, Abuja. The new Guest House, which is another initiative of the current NAF leadership to improve the welfare of NAF personnel, consists of 10 rooms was furnished with modern facilities and is expected to cater for the transit lodging needs of both officers and allied guests visiting Abuja.

Speaking during the commissioning, the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, who was represented by the Chief of Administration, Air Vice Marshal Kingsley Lar, said the new NAFOM Guest House was geared towards meeting the lodging needs of officers who visit Abuja from units outside the capital. He further highlighted that the Guest House was well-furnished to provide comfort for guests as well as project the good image of the NAF. He enjoined all who would use the facility to do so with decorum. The CAS also added that, in the course of actualizing the project, the main Mess also received attention with the construction of a gazebo and Sit-Out Bar as well as the renovation of the Mess building.

Earlier in his welcome address, the Deputy Managing Director NAF Investment Limited (NAFIL), Air Commodore Uchechi Nwagwu, who is also a Member of the Mess Committee, thanked the CAS for his relentless efforts at providing the necessary infrastructure to enable NAF Base Bill Clinton Drive Abuja have a wide spectrum of facilities to cater for officers’ needs.

News

Deadly Zika Virus fast circulating in Kenya

Published

on

 

The deadly Zika virus, which almost marred the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil, has been detected in Kenya for the first time.

On Friday, local researchers said they have detected 33 Zika incidents in West Pokot County and one in Turkana County, the first ever recorded in Kenya.

The team from the Ministry of Health, the Nairobi-based International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (Icipe), Kenya Medical Research Institute (Kemri) and Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology want measures put in place to prevent a possible outbreak.

The researchers in the study published in Virology Journal on Friday on May 17, 2019, said they had found evidence Zika virus has been circulating undetected in human populations in West Pokot and Turkana counties.

The team led by Edith Chepkorir of Icipe was hunting for yellow fever, dengue, West Nile and Zika viruses in the two counties.

The areas were being investigated because they border Uganda, South Sudan and Ethiopia where recent outbreaks of yellow fever and dengue have been reported, with possibility of spillover into Kenya.

In the study, they found all the four viruses present with Zika being recorded for the first time in Kenya.

The team had collected 877 samples from the two counties with 33 turning positive for Zika in West Pokot and one in Turkana.

“The results in the current study suggest circulation of Zika in both counties, yet there have never been reported or confirmed cases of Zika in Kenya,” the report notes.

The virus was first identified in a rhesus monkey in 1947 in the Zika forest in Uganda. Coincidentally, the new study says the Kenya cases were detected in an area called Kanyerus, West Pokot, which is very close to where the virus was first recorded in Uganda.

Standard Media

Continue Reading

News

EFCC arrests 10 suspected Internet Fraudsters in Abuja

Published

on

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Abuja Zonal office have arrested ten suspected internet scammers popularly known as “Yahoo Boys” at Favour Estate Land Estate, in Abuja.

They were arrested following a tip-off by an anonymous source.

Some of the items recovered from the suspects were exotic cars, laptops and smart phones.

A statement released by the antigraft agency gave the names of the suspects as Okorokpa Clifford, Ejechi Rukeme Clarence, Omoagbere Nelson, Olamide Agbi, Prosper Williams, Zhenom Moses, Nasiru Saudi Ali, Shakajede Okiemute, Okoro Andrew and Amorighoye Laju Precious.

 

Continue Reading

News

Christchurch shootings: Court charges Mosque attacker with terrorism

Published

on

Gunmen attack Akwa Ibom governor's former aide

 

The man accused of killing 51 people in the Christchurch mosques attack has been charged with terrorism, New Zealand police have said.

Brenton Tarrant was charged with “engaging in a terrorist act”, police said in a statement on Tuesday.

He is already facing charges of murder and 40 of attempted murder following the attack on two mosques in the South Island city on 15 March.

The Australian is next due in court in June.

BBC

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending