Former world No.1, Andy Murray has revealed that 2019 Australian Open may be his last time competing in the year’s first Grand Slam tournament.
The 32-year-old has been off the tour since January 2018, when he underwent surgery for a hip problem.
On Thursday at a press conference after practising with Novak Djokovic, Murray responded to questions on his physical well-being by saying, “Yeah, not great.”
“I told them (my team) that I’ll try and get through this until Wimbledon. That’s where I would like to stop playing, but I’m also not certain I’m able to do that.”
He continued: “I’ve been in a lot of pain for about 20 months now. I’ve tried everything I could to get my hip feeling better. It hasn’t helped loads, I’m in a better place than I was six months ago, but I’m still in a lot of pain. It’s been tough.”
The Scot overcame bipartite patella, the medical term for the kneecap comprising of two separate bones instead of just one, diagnosed when he was 16, to become a professional tennis player.
The three-time Grand Slam winner starts his Australian Open adventure against 22nd-seeded Roberto Bautista Agut.
“I can still play to a level,” Murray added. “But not to a level that I’m happy at, but also it’s not just that. The pain is too much really. I don’t want to continue playing that way.
“In the middle of my training block back in December I spoke to my team, I told them that I can’t keep doing this, that I needed an endpoint because I can’t keep playing with no idea when the pain will stop.”
Cardiff City’s new signing Sala missing after plane disappears over English Channel
Cardiff City Football Club’s new star Emiliano Sala was on board a light aircraft that disappeared en route to the Welsh capital where he was to join up with the team.
France’s civil aviation authority made this disclosure on Tuesday.
Argentine Sala was flying from the French city of Nantes to Cardiff when the plane lost radar contact off the English Channel island Guernsey late on Monday.
Rescue aircraft and boats scoured more than 1,000 square miles of sea for the single-engine Piper Malibu on Tuesday.
Guernsey police said a number of floating objects had been seen in the water but they were unable to confirm whether any were from the missing aircraft.
As night fell, search operations were suspended.
Police said they would resume at sunrise on Wednesday.
The 28-year-old forward joined English Premier League strugglers Cardiff City from FC Nantes last week for a club record fee of about 17 million euros (£15 million).
He had played in France since 2012.
“We expected Emiliano to arrive last night into Cardiff and today (Tuesday) was due to be his first day with the team,” club CEO Ken Choo said in a statement.
“We continue to pray for positive news.”
The club’s Tuesday’s training session was called off.
“The management and the whole club are staying hopeful and the whole FC Nantes family is praying for Emiliano Sala and the other passengers to be found safe and sound,” Nantes said in a statement.
British authorities contacted airfields along the coast to check if the plane had made an unplanned landing, but there was no sign it had, Guernsey police said.
The plane had been cruising at 5,000 feet when the pilot requested to descend to a lower altitude on passing Guernsey.
It lost radar contact at 2,300 feet, the police said.
John Fitzgerald, chief executive of Channel Islands Air Search, said: “If they are wearing the right dry suits or they got into a life raft, then the probability is not too bad.
“If they are in the water without any protection, the water is really too cold at the moment for any form of survival beyond an hour or so,” Fitzgerald told Sky TV.
Sala’s father Horacio told Argentine TV channel C5N: “I didn’t know anything because I’m away from home, I’m a truck driver. A friend who saw it on TV told me. I’m in despair.”
Julio Muller, the mayor of Progreso, the small town in the farming province of Santa Fe where Sala grew up, told Clarin online: “The town is in shock. The only thing we were talking about was his transfer.”
Daniel Rivero, the president of Sala’s first club, San Martin de Progreso, told radio LT9 he was “hoping for some kind of a miracle.”
Sala scored 12 goals for Nantes this season.
France’s football federation has postponed Nantes’s French Cup last-32 game against Entente Sannois-Saint Gratien that was scheduled for Wednesday.
Sala on Monday tweeted a photo of himself bidding farewell to his Nantes team mates, saying. “The last one. Ciao @FCNantes.”
Mikel returns to England, set to join Middlesbrough
Latest transfer reports indicate that Super Eagles captain John Obi Mikel is set for a return to England for his playing career.
According to Sky Sports, Mikel has agreed personal terms with Middlesbrough and is undergoing a medical on Tuesday.
It is understood that the former Chelsea star held talks with Boro manager Tony Pulis at the Middlesbrough training ground last week and is now close to signing a short-term deal with the Championship club.
Mikel, who has been playing for Chinese side Tianjin TEDA, ended his two-year spell recently to find a move to the UK, where his wife and children have stayed after his move abroad.
The 31-year-old spent 11 years at Chelsea, most notably winning one Champions League title, two Premier League titles, the Europa League, three FA Cups and the League Cup.
Mikel had a successful stint at Stamford Bridge, most notably winning the Champions League title in 2012.
Some Nigerians have donned the colours of Middlesbrough in the past but the biggest of them all is Yakubu Aiyegbeni who played for the club from 2005 to 2007, making over 70 appearances and scoring 25 goals.
Since playing for Nigeria at the Russia 2018 World Cup, Mikel has been missing in action for the Super Eagles.
It is expected that if the Boro move sails, Mikel will get the necessary match fitness that could see him return for the upcoming games again Seychelles and Egypt in March 2019.
Ronaldo accepts fine for tax evasion, avoids jail
Portuguese football star, Cristiano Ronaldo was fined almost 19 million euros ($21.6 million) for tax fraud on Tuesday, but he will avoid serving a 23-month prison sentence after agreeing to the deal.
Ronaldo, holding hands with his Spanish fiancee, Georgina Rodriguez, came out of the court-room smiling, pausing to sign autographs before leaving in a black van.
The 33-year-old Juventus forward, who played for Real Madrid from 2009 to 2018, agreed to settle the case by paying an 18.8 million euro fine and accepting a suspended jail sentence.
Under Spanish law, a first offender can serve anything less than a two-year sentence under probation and Ronaldo will not have to go to prison.
His court appearance lasted about 15 minutes as the five-times World Footballer of the Year only needed to sign off on the previously settled agreement.
Earlier, Ronaldo’s former Real Madrid team-mate, Xabi Alonso walked in to face own tax fraud case with his hands deep in his suit pockets.
“Yes, all good,” was his only response to reporters’ questions.
Ronaldo had to enter the courtroom through the front door after his request for special security measures to avoid the spotlight was denied on Monday.
In 2017, Ronaldo denied the accusation that he knowingly used a business structure to hide income generated by his image rights in Spain between 2011 and 2014.
After reaching the deal, he paid a fine of 5.7 million euros, plus interest of about 1 million euros, in July 2018, the prosecutor’s office said last week. (Reuters/NAN)
Only Blackface can explain the problem he has with me – 2face Idibia
Why 36 Governors will work for Buhari`s re-election
Major shake up in Nigeria Air Force, 72 senior officers redeployed
Cardiff City’s new signing Sala missing after plane disappears over English Channel
That Atiku speaks Fulfulde doesn’t make him a Fulani – Miyetti Allah
Now you can steal the whole Nigeria, once you join APC you’re safe- Obasanjo
Chief Rasaq Akanni Okoya Celebrates 79th Birthday In Style
Affording Buhari a second term will be betrayal of our justice – Georgina Onuoha
Nigerian govt demands resignation of CJN Onnoghen
New international passport to cost N70,000
News5 months ago
Calm returns at Maiduguri Airport after Soldier’ gun protest
Business5 months ago
Photos from Tony Elumelu’s Mother’s 90th birthday party
News2 months ago
Video: Fire engulfs Forte Oil filling station at Local Airport in Lagos
News3 months ago
Angola sets to close down unregistered churches
Politics10 months ago
Nigerian judges burdened with too many cases — Ajimobi
Business11 months ago
Jim Ovia pledges ₦250m to Lagos State Security Trust Fund
Entertainment3 months ago
Kanye West & Kardashian clan’s Photographer, Marcus Hyde hospitalized after ghastly auto crash
General5 months ago
The world’s hottest grandma Gina Stewart flaunts her pert derrière