Connect with us

Politics

FG Raises $177million for Ogoni Clean Up

Published

on

 

The Minister of State for Environment, Ibrahim Jibril, on Monday disclosed some of the plans by the Federal Government for the Ogoni Land Clean Up revealing that the sum of $177million has been raised so far.

Jibril at a meeting with the Deputy High Commissioner of the British Embassy in Abuja noted that while $177million has been raised for the cleanup, about $23million is expected from refineries before the end of October.

“The board of trustees have opened an account and that account has been credited with the sum of $177million.

“This is what is supposed to be given by the oil majors and to pay for the cleaning and restoration of this degraded areas.

“An initial bill of $1billion was to be used over a period of five years. So, with the $177million for this year 2018, the balance of $23million is expected to come from the refineries.

“We have written to inform the President, he has given directives that the Petroleum Ministry should handle that issue. So, I believe before the end of the month, we should raise the remittance of the balance of $23million that is supposed to make it $200million for this year.”

The Deputy British High Commissioner, Ms Laure Beaufils, in response assured of the British Governments commitment in addressing climate-related changes in Nigeria.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Politics

Fayose denies report that he’s opening up to EFCC fraud allegation against him

Published

on

Fayose submits self to EFCC

 

The former Governor of Ekiti state, Ayo Fayose has denied reports that he has started opening up on allegations of corruption made against him by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

He said the reports are misleading and feeble attempt by the anti-graft agency to sustain its lies and campaign of calumny against him.  Read the statement below…

“Report by a section of the media that Fayose, had started opening up on allegations of corruption made against him by the EFCC is false, misleading and a feeble attempt by the anti-graft agency to sustain its lies and campaign of calumny against the former governor.

No amount of sponsored media reports will change the fact that as at today, the EFCC does not have any evidence to prosecute Fayose in court.

Fayose will only defend himself in the law court because EFCC has demonstrated that it is out to persecute him ostensibly because of his criticism of the President Muhammadu Buhari led APC government.

It is a fact that Fayose wrote to the EFCC on September 10, 2018 notifying the commission of his decision to make himself available on October 16, 2018. The EFCC replied by asking him not to wait till October 16 and that he should come on September 20, 2018.

Therefore, isn’t it funny that the same EFCC that was desperate to have Fayose report on September 20 is still keeping him in detention, four days after he willingly submitted himself?

Isn’t it now clear to all discerning minds that EFCC is only acting as an agent of persecution against perceived enemies of the APC and it is helping to keep Fayose out of circulation as desired by the powers that be?

Very soon, the public will still be fed with stories like; “Fayose writes confessional statement and eats it,” “he weeps in detention,” “begs to return loots among other familiar lies of the EFCC.”

Nigerians should just ignore the EFCC sponsored lies and continue to ask why the anti-graft agency has failed to charge Fayose to court despite the overwhelming evidence it claimed to have.

Most importantly, Nigerians should be rest assured that Fayose will not be intimidated even if he is detained for as long as the EFCC will be ready to take him to court. He won’t say more than what he has said which is denying the EFCC allegations.”

 

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Buhari hosts Kannywood Entertainers to dinner

Published

on

 

President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday evening, hosted Kannywood Entertainers (Music and Movies) to dinner in State House.

Present at the event include, Plateau state Governor Simon Lalong, Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai, Chief of Staff Abba Kyari and SGF Boss Mustapha and many entertainment practitioners.

Continue Reading

Politics

Ekiti APC Treasurer assassinated at his residence

Published

on

 

The treasurer of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ekiti, Moses Adeoye, has been killed by suspected gunmen at his residence.

TheCable gathered that Adeoye was murdered Wednesday evening in Otun, Moba local government area of the state.

A source who spoke to TheCable said the gunmen didn’t take any of his valuables or properties.

Confirming the incident, Caleb Ikechukwu, Ekiti state police public relations officer, said an investigation has commenced on the matter.

He said: “The state police headquarters is aware of it already and we have started our investigation to make you we apprehend all the perpetrators of this act.

“We commiserate with his family and assured the people of Ekiti state that the police is on top of this matter.”

The deceased is the immediate past APC chairman of Moba local government area.

Another APC chieftain in the state, Olubunmi Ojo, was on August 10 murdered in Ado-Ekiti by unknown gunmen.

Ojo was a former personal assistant to Segun Oni, ex-governor of Ekiti.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending