Connect with us

News

Buratai appoints new army commanders to lead Boko Haram war (Full Details)

Published

on

Buratai appoints new army commanders to lead Boko Haram war (Full Details)

The Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, has appointed new commanders for Operation Lafiya Dole, the military task force in the North-East.

The Director of Army Public Relations, Sani Usman, confirmed this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.

According to Usman, the newly promoted Major General, O.T. Akinjobi, Head of the Operations Monitoring Team at the Office of the Chief of Army Staff, has been appointed Commander, Sector 3, Operation LAFIYA DOLE.

He said that Major General M.G. Ali, Commander, 9 Brigade, had been appointed Commander of the newly created Nigerian Army Special Forces Command.

He said that Brigadier General B.R. Sinjen would command Integrated Fire Support, while Brigadier General F.O. Omoigui, had been moved from 2 Division, Nigerian Army to Army Headquarters’ Department of Training and Operations as Director of Operations.

Mr Usman stated that the deployment moved Brigadier General T.A. Lagbaja to 9 Brigade, Nigerian Army as commander.

Also affected, he said, was Brigadier General O.R. Aiyenigba, Director, Land Warfare, Armed Forces Command and Staff College, who had been assigned to Office of the Chief of Army Staff as Head of Operations Monitoring Team.

According to Mr Usman, Brigadier General A.U. Kuliya is to take over as Director, Land Warfare at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College.

“Similarly, new Brigade Commanders have been appointed for some of the Brigades at Operation LAFIYA DOLE.

“These include Brig.-Gen. E.F. Oyinlola, 22 Brigade; Brig.-Gen. V.U. Okoro, 25 Task Force Brigade; Brig.-Gen. A.B. Mohammed, 26 Task Force Brigade and Brig.-Gen. A.O. Oyelade, 27 Task Force Brigade.

“Brig.-Gen. M.T. Usman, 28 Task Force Brigade and Brig.-Gen. M.G. Kangye, 37 Brigade.’’

The army spokesman added that Brigadier General A.S. Ishaq had been appointed as Coordinator, Nigeria Police Force for Operation LAFIYA DOLE.

He also announced that new commanders had been appointed for the various Army Headquarters Logistics Commands at the theatre.

“These include Brig.-Gen. A.G. Ibrahim, Brig.-Gen. P.N. Okeson and Brig.-Gen. O.A. Aminu, for Logistics Base I, II and III, respectively.”

Mr Usman said the posting affected several Commanding Officers of the various units in Operation LAFIYA DOLE.

He said Mr Buratai had directed that all those affected by the posting must remain committed and fully in charge until they were properly relieved in line with standard operating procedures and military professional ethics.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Mr Buratai had, shortly after decorating the newly-promoted senior officers on Thursday in Abuja, hinted that deployments were in the offing for them.

(NAN)

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News

Mozambique discovers 30,000 ghost workers on payroll

Published

on

 

The government of Mozambique says an audit of the civil service payroll has revealed about 30,000 ghost workers. It said some were paid for jobs they hadn’t done, others were dead or fictitious.

The fraud cost an estimated $250 million

(£200m) over two years, according to the civil service minister Carmelita Namashulua.

The audit was carried out to assess the effectiveness of officials in the country, which has been ranked as the 153rd most corrupt in the 2017 Transparency International Index.

About 348,000 workers were assessed, the minister said.

The Mozambican government outlined plans earlier this year to try to control public spending.

BBC

 

Continue Reading

News

Ministry of Industry to partner Abia for Enyimba Economic City

Published

on

Ministry of Industry to partner Abia for Enyimba Economic City

The Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment says it is partnering the Abia State Government and Crown Realties Plc, for the development of Enyimba Economic City in Abia State.

The partnership is one of many under a programme to develop Special Economic Zones in the country, for which stakeholder engagement is ongoing, spokesperson Bisi Daniels said Tuesday.

Other projects under the Public-Private Partnership model, which are to serve as pilot projects are in Katsina and Lagos states.

“The Federal Government’s Economic Recovery and Growth Plan identifies the development of Special Economic Zones (SEZs) as a major strategic tool to accelerate the implementation of the Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan through the manufacturing of goods for exports,” says Dr. Okechwuku Enelamah, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment.

“Accordingly, Project MINE (Made in Nigeria for Exports), was envisioned by the Federal Ministry of Industry Trade and Investment and the Nigeria Export Processing Zone Authority (NEPZA), to develop SEZs to world class standards and position Nigeria as the pre-eminent manufacturing hub in sub-Saharan Africa and a major exporter of made in Nigeria goods and services regionally and globally.”

Project MINE seeks to achieve the following specific objectives:

· Aid structural transformation of the Nigerian economy by increasing the manufacturing sector’s contribution to Gross Domestic Product to 20 per cent by 2025;

· Contribute to sustainable inclusive growth by creating 1.5 million new manufacturing jobs in the initial phase of the project;

· Increase and diversify foreign exchange earnings by increasing manufacturing sector exports to at least US$30bn annually by 2025;

· Create local models of global best practice in provision of world class infrastructure at competitive costs connecting SEZs to international and regional markets with transport links, uninterrupted power, ICT, water, sewage and other services to ensure smooth and efficient operation of SEZ businesses;

· Promote the “cluster” effect to be gained by locating similar export-oriented manufacturing businesses within the same locality;

· Attract world class investors with strong positions in global supply chains and investors with potential to increase the scale of operations rapidly to set up operations in SEZs; and

· Create an enabling environment for SEZ businesses by instituting best in class legal and regulatory frameworks, using technology and streamlined processes to facilitate movement of people, goods and capital and easy access to government services, approvals and permits.

The first phase of the project is to focus on the development and upgrade of SEZs in 12 states across Nigeria, following which the initiative will be extended to other States in subsequent phases.

This involves, among others, partnering with the private sector to develop new world-class SEZs in Abia, Katsina and Lagos as pilot projects to demonstrate proof of concept and provide models for future SEZ development Nigeria.

In Abia, accelerated pre-development work carried out by a multi-disciplinary team of consultants including Surbana Jurong of Singapore; CBRE, India; Allott Nigeria Limited; Roughton International, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, FBN Quest and a number of others has been completed.

Also, the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Shandong Ruyi Group of China for the investment commitment of $2bn to the Cotton, Textile and Garment industry in Nigeria through investments in manufacturing facilities in Enyimba Economic City, Abia State; Kano Free Trade Zone and Lekki Free Trade Zone.

The Nigeria SEZ Investment Company Limited “has executed definitive agreements for the acquisition of 20 per cent of the ordinary share capital of Enyimba Economic City Development Company Limited.

This investment will facilitate the development of Enyimba Economic City in line with government’s policy objectives and have a transformational impact in the entire South Eastern and South Southern area of the country,” says Mr. C Darl Uzu, the Managing Director of Enyimba Economic City Development Company Limited.

Continue Reading

News

Nasarawa Assembly passes N23.4bn supplementary budget

Published

on

Nasarawa Assembly passes N23.4bn supplementary budget

The Nasarawa State House of Assembly on Tuesday passed a supplementary budget of N23.4bn presented to the House by Governor Tanko Al-Makura.

Ibrahim Balarabe-Abdullahi, the Speaker of the House, announced the passage of the bill after Tanko Tunga (APC-Awe North), the Majority Leader of the House, moved the motion.

The speaker said the passage of the bill would enable the present administration complete the ongoing projects before the end of its tenure in May 2019.

“Governor Tanko Al-Makura administration is determined not to leave any project uncompleted at the expiration of his tenure, hence the need for the passage of the supplementary budget.

“Based on the governor’s letter to the House, he said during the preparation of the 2018 budget, some projects were underfunded and because of their importance to the general public it has become necessary to request for additional funds to complete them.

“We have approved N23.4bn as the total supplementary budget for 2018.

“This is made up of N5,292,726,871 billion only for Recurrent Expenditure while N18,100,346,140 only is allocated to fund capital expenditure,’’ he said.

The speaker disclosed that the House increased the supplementary budget by N100million due to omission of International travel, transport, bank charges among others.

Mr Balarabe-Abdullah assured the executive arm and the people of the state of its commitment to pass bills that would have direct bearing on the lives of the people of the state.

Daniel Ogazi (APC-Kokona East), the House Deputy Majority Leader, seconded the motion moved by the Majority Leader.

The House unanimously passed the supplementary budget.

Mr Al-Makura, on November 29, 2017, presented the 2018 budget proposal of N122.8billion only to the state House of Assembly for consideration and approval.

NAN also recalls that the House had on January 24 passed the state’s 2018 appropriation bill of N125.4 billion into law by jerking up the budget by N2.6 billion.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Trending