President Muhammadu Buhari will not decide the new figure of national minimum wage until the National Assembly approves an amount, the Presidency said Thursday, denying the president had endorsed the N30,000 recommended by a tripartite committee.
The organised labour suspended a planned nationwide strike on Tuesday after the Amma Pepple-led committee agreed to its demand for N30,000.
While receiving the report, President Buhari said another committee will review the recommendation before a final figure is sent as an executive bill to the National Assembly.
Reports have since suggested the recommended N30,000 had been endorsed by the government.
But a statement Thursday by presidential spokesperson, Femi Adesina, said the reports were “contrary to what transpired”. It said the president would not “be caught in this unnecessary web of controversy” until “the proposed minimum wage has gone through the whole gamut of law-making”.
The statement suggests the federal government would take some time to announce a new minimum wage figure.
A review committee is expected to take days, if not weeks, to make a recommendation, and the lawmaking process may take months.
Read the presidency’s full statement below:
STATE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE
UNNECESSARY CONTROVERSY OVER PRESIDENT BUHARI’S POSITION ON PROPOSED N30,000 MINIMUM WAGE – PRESIDENCY
The Presidency is concerned over recurring reports alleging that President Muhammadu Buhari has reneged on earlier acceptance of the N30,000 recommended as the new National Minimum Wage by the National Minimum Wage Tripartite Committee.
These reports are contrary to what transpired on Tuesday when the committee presented its Report to the President. Responding, President Buhari, while acknowledging the concerns raised by government on affordability and labour’s focus on meaningful increase, stated clearly in a speech, which was made available to the media:
“In a way, both arguments are valid. I want to assure you all that we will immediately put in place the necessary machinery that will close out these open areas.
“Our plan is to transmit an Executive Bill to the National Assembly for passage within the shortest possible time. I am fully committed to having a new National Minimum Wage Act in the very near future.
“As the Executive Arm commences its review of your submission, we will continue to engage you all in closing any open areas presented in this report. I, therefore, would like to ask for your patience and understanding in the coming weeks.”
From the above, and throughout the report-submission ceremony, the President never mentioned any figure. What he committed himself to was a new minimum wage, and only after the Report of the committee has been reviewed by the executive and legislative processes of government and an appropriate bill presented to him for assent.
Until the proposed minimum wage has gone through the whole gamut of law-making, President Buhari, who is a stickler for due process, will not be caught in this unnecessary web of controversy, which amounts to putting the cart before the horse and hair-splitting.
As for those who have latched onto the concocted controversy to play cheap politics, we appeal to them to remember that elections are not won through loquaciousness, and trying to demean the President at every drop of a hat. But then, it is not surprising, as they have nothing else to sell to Nigerians, if they don’t ride on the name of the President. Stiff judgment awaits them at the polls.
Special Adviser to the President
(Media & Publicity)
November 8, 2018
OAU Professor Allegedly Involved In Sex-For-Marks Scandal To Be Arraigned By ICPC
Mr Akindele was accused of demanding sex from one of his students, Ms. Monica Osagie, in order to upgrade her academic result.
In a statement by the spokesman of the commission, Rasheedat Okoduwa,Professor Akindele will be docked on Monday 19th November 2018, on a 3-count charge having been accused of using his position as a lecturer in the Department of Management and Accounting to demand for sexual benefit from a student and fraudulently upgrade her result in Research Method course which she supposedly failed in 2017.
The Commission says that his actions were contrary to Sections 8 (1) (a) (ii), and 18 (d) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000 and are punishable under the same sections.
One of the counts reads, “That you, professor Akindele, on or about the 16th day of September, 2017 at Ile-Ife did corruptly ask for sexual benefits for yourself from Ms. Monica Osagie on account of favour to be afterwards shown to her by you in the discharge of your official duties as a lecturer in the Department of Management and Accounting, Obafemi Awolowo University, to wit; altering her academic grades in the course with code MBA 632- Research Method from fail to pass; and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 8(1)(a)(ii) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000.”
The 57-year-old professor has asked for plea-bargain having admitted guilt. He also cited ill-health as a factor that may make him unable to stand the rigours of prison life, notifying the Commission through his lawyer, Omotayo Alade-Fawole.
He pleaded that his prayers for plea-bargain be considered, more so as he was already serving punishment for his offence having been sacked by the university.
Ms. Osagie had earlier expressed a lack of confidence in the capacity of ICPC to give her a fair hearing.
According to the commission, the public announcement of the professors impending arraignment is in fulfillment of its promise to the public to avail them of the outcome of the investigation in due time.
Traditional Ruler Arrested Over Alleged N15.5m Fraud
The State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi, in a statement made available to TribuneOnline, said the arrest of the traditional ruler followed a petition written by the management of a real estate firm against the traditional ruler.
DSP Oyeyemi said the company approached the traditional ruler for the purchase of about 23 acres of land in his domain, which was negotiated for N15.5 million, and the company paid the amount to the suspect after showing them the land.
“Surprisingly, some months after the payment was made, the traditional ruler started selling the same portion of land to another set of people, and before the company knew what was going on, he had sold 17 acres out of the 23 acres.
“As a result of the petition, the state Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Iliyasu, directed the officer in charge Public Complaints Bureau to look into the case and bring the suspect to book.
“The traditional ruler was subsequently arrested, and on interrogation, he admitted collecting the said amount of money from the complainant after showing them the land.
“He stated further that it was when he needed some money for his coronation that he was tempted to sell parts of the already sold land,” DSP Oyeyemi stated.
The police spokesperson said CP Iliyasu had ordered a thorough investigation into the case, and that the suspect would be arraigned in court in accordance with the anti-land grabbing laws of Ogun State.
Court orders forfeiture of N300m bonds over Kanu’s absence
A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the interim forfeiture of the N300 million bail bonds by sureties to Nnamdi Kanu following their failure to produce him in court on Tuesday.
Justice Binta Nyako ordered that the money be deposited in the court’s bank account and not the Federal Givernment’s Treasury Single Account (TSA) before the next adjourned date on March 28, 2019.
The judge ruled that the sureties: Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe; a Jewish priest, Immanuel Shalom, and an Abuja-based accountant, Tochukwu Uchendu, would be given six months to argue their applications challenging the forfeiture.
However, the co-accused to the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Bright Chimezie, Chidiebere Onwudiwe, Benjamin Madubugwu, and Chidiebere Onwudiwe were present as their trial on three count-charges bordering on conspiracy to commit treasonable felony and setting up illegal broadcast stations, continued.
Earlier, prosecution counsel Suleiman Labaran asked the court to order the sureties to show cause why the N100m bail bond for each of the them should not be forfeited to the Federal Government.
But counsel to Abaribe, Chukwu Machukwu-Ume (SAN) said the lawmaker went on an oversight function with the Senate Committee on Niger Delta.
Justice Binta Nyako threatened to issue a bench warrant for the arrest of Abaribe and Uchendu, who was said to be ill. Shalom was present in court.
The sureties had filed separate applications asking the court to stop their suretyship on the ground that they can no longer perform that responsibility because of some supervening and exceptional circumstances.
Falz – Nigerians Are Frustrated, We Need A Change
Buhari returns, holds closed-door meeting with Guinea Bissau President
Chelsea Facing Potential Two-Year Transfer Ban
Use Only Your Children As Thugs – Obasanjo tells Politicians
OAU Professor Allegedly Involved In Sex-For-Marks Scandal To Be Arraigned By ICPC
Ben Nwabueze embraces Atiku as entire leadership of Southeast pledge support for him in Enugu
Woman hides her baby in car trunk for 2 years
Photos from Accident scene in Ikeja this morning
Ralph Lauren to become first American Fashion Designer to be knighted by the Queen
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo: A Pastor Only By Name – By Femi Fani-Kayode
News3 months ago
Calm returns at Maiduguri Airport after Soldier’ gun protest
Entertainment2 weeks ago
Kanye West & Kardashian clan’s Photographer, Marcus Hyde hospitalized after ghastly auto crash
Business3 months ago
Photos from Tony Elumelu’s Mother’s 90th birthday party
News1 month ago
Angola sets to close down unregistered churches
Business2 months ago
Tony Elumelu Foundation to Launch World’s Largest Digital Platform for African Entrepreneurs at TEF Forum 2018
Entertainment1 month ago
Davido & girlfriend, Chioma visit Atiku
News1 month ago
2019: PVCs to be ready end of November
Politics8 months ago
Nigerian judges burdened with too many cases — Ajimobi