Connect with us

News

49 killed, 20 injured in Mass Shooting at two Mosques in New Zealand

Published

on

 

The usually peaceful nation, New Zealand was on Friday shocked by a carefully planned and unprecedented attack of mass shootings at two mosques at Christchurch. The shooting left at least 49 people dead and 20 seriously injured.

New Zealand’s Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, called the incident a terrorist attack in a Friday press conference, saying the suspects held “extremist views” that have no place in New Zealand or the world.

Forty-one people were killed at the al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue, said Mike Bush, New Zealand’s Police Commissioner. Seven people died at the Linwood mosque on Linwood Avenue, and one person died from their injuries in hospital.

Both mosques are in Christchurch city center. Police placed the two locations on lockdown.

A total of 48 patients, including young children with gunshot wounds, were admitted to Christchurch hospital for treatment.

Bush said four people were taken into custody — three men and one woman. Police do not believe there are any other suspects but said it was still an open investigation.

Bush said a male in his late 20s has been charged with murder and will appear at the Christchurch court Saturday morning local time.

One of the four detained at the scene was in possession of firearms but police said they may have had nothing to do with incident. Two others were also arrested in possession of firearms and police are still trying to understand their involvement, Bush said. None of the four had been on any security watch lists prior to the attack.

Two improvised explosive devices were attached to a vehicle as part of the attack. One device has been disabled and authorities are working on the other.

“This goes to the seriousness of the situation,” Bush said.

A number of weapons were also recovered at both the Linwood and Dean Avenue locations.

CNN

News

Bus fails break, falls on Ojota Bridge

Published

on

 

A bus conveying gallons of palm oil, bags of beans and other goods lost its control and fell on Ojota Bridge on Sunday night.

According to eyewitnesses the driver of the vehicle who was alone came out with bruises, and the vehicle was subsequently pulled to the roadside.

Continue Reading

News

Lassa Fever kills one, five infected in Kebbi

Published

on

First Lassa fever conference holds in Abuja

 

The Kebbi State Government on Sunday confirmed one death from six cases of Lassa Fever in the state.

Dr Assad Hassan, Epidemiologist at the state Ministry of Heath, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Birnin Kebbi, that the cases were recorded between February and April.

Hassan told NAN that four of the victims were from Birnin Kebbi; while the remaining two were from Bunza Local Governmment Area (LGA) of the state.

“The persons confirmed to be infected with the disease are between 23 to 65 years, and they include four males and two females,’’ he said.

According to him, one of the female patients was the one that died within hours of arrival at the Federal Medical Centre in Birnin Kebbi.

He said the blood sample taken from the deceased tested positive to Lassa fever.

“The medical doctor that attended to the deceased was also infected with the fever but has been treated and discharged from hospital,’’ he added.

Hassan further explained that the last confirmed case was on April 27; and refuted reports that two children had died last week as a result of the fever.

“In response to the outbreak, there has been continuous sensitisation of health care workers on Lassa Fever detection and infection, prevention and control measures within the hospital setting.

“Similarly, advocacy, social mobilisation and community engagement has been carried out in all the 21 LGAs of the state,’’ Hassan said.

The epidemiologist also advised communities to keep food and drinking water in rodent-proof containers and to also bring sick family members to the hospital early enough for treatment. (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Court sentences kidnapper Evans’ 2 Gang Members to 41 years in prison

Published

on

Evans didn’t make statement to police under duress - Witness

 

Two former members of billionaire kidnapper, Evans’ gang have been sentenced to 41 years imprisonment by court.

During an Ikeja High court sitting in Lagos State on Monday, witnessed Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo sentenced the convicts, Kelvin Emenike Ukoh and Emeka Obasi for the abduction of one Ugoje Jude, a shipping agent, and his staff, Miss Piriye Gogo in August 3, 2012.

The convicts were members of the kidnapping gang headed by billionaire kidnapper, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, also known as Evans. They were arraigned in 2013 alongside three others: Uche Igbani, 28, Chibuzor Osuagwu, 33 and a 36-year-old woman, Onowu Ngozi, on a 14 count-charge bothering on conspiracy, kidnapping, armed robbery and murder.

Ugoje and another staff, Piriye Gogo were kidnapped by the gang who and were later taken to an unknown destination by their leader, Evans.

Miss Ugoje narrated the entire ordeal before the court including how she almost got raped and how she was saved by the police patrol she saw and flagged after the three men took away Jude while holding rifles.

Jude also testified in court, he said his abductors initially ordered him to pay N10m for his release but after negotiations, they accepted N5m.

Justice Taiwo after listening to the testifiers convicted and sentenced Ukoh and Obasi to 5, 15 and 21 years for conspiracy, kidnapping and armed robbery respectively, while the other three; Igbani, Osuagwu and Ngozi were discharged and acquitted by court.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending